The Regulars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Regulars

A place for the Awesome People to be.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What can WE do for the BBS

Go down 
+25
HotActionYiffFur
Elder
Hybrid-Of-Souls
Clock-Ninja
blanblan
CapnCrunchDaPimp
Scarab
MattTheParanoidKat
Timmy
Lost_Chances
FLESHLIGHT
Twone
AlphaCentauri
Flashwarrior
14hourlunchbreak
InsertFunnyUserName
Dobio
Maximus
ZENON
Alfain
BRASS
EpicFail
Sensationalism
Andrew
Thosesneakyfrench
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Thosesneakyfrench
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
Thosesneakyfrench

Sign-Up Date : 2009-08-07

What can WE do for the BBS Empty
PostSubject: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:36 pm

The idea of this site is to get away from the spam that the BBS has become. Sure the BBS is in a rut these days, but as far as the hypnotic logo on this site is concerned, we're regulars. We're main contributors to the BBS's content.

We need to try harder. Make better posts; better topics. This applies to me too; we all need to start shaping up. Instead of trying to be funny and sarcastic in a thread, let's be helpful. Unless the thread's purpose is humor, then we need to be funnier. Put more effort into our posts. All that jazz There's regulars here that already do everything I'm mentioning, but with the current state of our beloved forum, I think we can all put in a little more for the sake of the BBS.

Those who have been around less than us probably look to us as model users. But when we just make shitty one liners for posts, that sets the standard for rookies, and even other regulars to follow. As regulars, we command some form of respect, and we can use that positively to set an example for others.

I'm well aware threads like this have been made before on the Newgrounds itself, and even drive the point home better. But we need to remind ourselves every now and again that we can't let ourselves slip. The BBS is only as good as the sum of it's parts, and we too are a part of the BBS.
Back to top Go down
Andrew
Am I cool Now!?!?!?

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:42 pm

The go post post post. We aren't trying to steal you. Go on back if you want, or do both. Truthfully I didn't think this thing would get off the ground.
Back to top Go down
Sensationalism
Admin
Sensationalism

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:46 pm

I know I'm guilty of posting some one-liners some of the time(or alot of the time?) . Sometimes I am just trying to up my post count and don't care about anything else. I have a problem. I get obsessed with numbers and have to get to a certain one before doing something else. That becomes a problem on the bbs when I've got nothing to say but feel like I must change the post number anyway. That's bad.

But I try to make up for it by making good posts at least part of the time.

I wish I could be 1337 poster like IFUN. It's almost 100% quality with her.
Back to top Go down
EpicFail
Admin
EpicFail

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:48 pm

Andrew, he isn't trying to make us go there and not here.

I believe we can make the BBS good again, it is possible, and I am definitely willing to do it, seeing as it is my home @ home on the internet... I need this to be done as well.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/LukeCobain
Thosesneakyfrench
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
Thosesneakyfrench

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:57 pm

This place can still be our cool little hangout, like that clubhouse in the backyard. People say that 08 was a terrible year, and so is '09. Fact is, no one wants to add themselves to the blame. No good threads in general? Brainstorm one. Decent discussion thread starting to get derailed? Try and get it back on track.

I'm going to put it on good priority that my posts, there and here, aren't any shorter/productive than this one.

We can do this together guys.
Back to top Go down
BRASS
Feeling Awesome Yet?
BRASS

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:03 am

I usually try to make my topics as well though out as possible, and more to the point than rambly.

I think that the shorter you can make your posts while making them attain the same level of information, the better. I'd rather read a paragraph full of information than 3 paragraphs containing the same info but with added rambling etc.

If we all make some kind of effort we can definitely set a trend.
Back to top Go down
Andrew
Am I cool Now!?!?!?

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:29 am

But also if you're banned, come here, our door is always open.
Back to top Go down
Alfain
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
Alfain

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:14 am

Andrew wrote:

When I'm banned on NG, I'm so getting my revenge here. HAY GUIZE, WHO WANTS DEM BANZ?
Back to top Go down
http://proottalfain.newgrounds.com
Sensationalism
Admin
Sensationalism

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:30 am

Alfain wrote:
Andrew wrote:

When I'm banned on NG, I'm so getting my revenge here. HAY GUIZE, WHO WANTS DEM BANZ?

Lol. Get bbs mods to join then when they ban you, come on here and ban them for the same amount of time!!!

Seriously though, this will be a great place to hang out while banned from the NG BBS.
Back to top Go down
ZENON
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
ZENON

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:07 am

I actually haven't been all that active on the BBS at all for the past... over half year? I really do miss wasting my days away on a message board and it looks like this would be a good place to get my posting habits back, cause you guys aren't a bunch of idiotic attention seekers smile
Back to top Go down
Maximus
Feeling Awesome Yet?
Maximus

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:32 am

Who is ZENON?
Back to top Go down
http://braximus.webs.com
Sensationalism
Admin
Sensationalism

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:26 am

Zenon is this dude who makes a lot of awesome music and I remember him from when The Revird was active and stuffs.

I can't believe you people don't know who he is. Makes me feel old school and I'm not.

Also Max I really love your avatar. Pan's is the shit.
Back to top Go down
Dobio
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
Dobio

Sign-Up Date : 2009-08-08

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:59 pm

The only way you can really improve the NG BBS is by becoming younger and finding it cool again.

For every cool thread that no one posts in, there are five threads about catching your dad whacking off that grows to 15 pages. It's just the average age level of the website means that unless you are extremely immature, you aren't going to find most of the shit humourous unless you're 13-14.
Back to top Go down
InsertFunnyUserName
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
InsertFunnyUserName

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:42 pm

Yeah, I try to do this. I don't +1 post anymore. It seemed as though once I hit 10,000, post count stopped mattering. Generally, I try to be helpful and constructive.

BRASS wrote:
I think that the shorter you can make your posts while making them attain the same level of information, the better. I'd rather read a paragraph full of information than 3 paragraphs containing the same info but with added rambling etc.

I think I'm guilty of doing that, just rambling on paragraph after paragraph. Not for the sake of having a long post, but just because that's what I do. See: my post in the "want to be a bbs moderator?" thread.

I've actually been trying to make my posts shorter. I don't mean put less effort into them, but just try not to get into that rambling habit. You know, try to get the same message across in a more reasonable length of text.
Back to top Go down
14hourlunchbreak
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
14hourlunchbreak

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:46 pm

Andrew wrote:

Our doors are always open for yoooouuuuu.

What can WE do for the BBS Tgmstill2
Back to top Go down
http://14hourlunchbreak.newgrounds.com
Flashwarrior
Feeling Awesome Yet?
Flashwarrior

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Thosesneakyfrench wrote:
; better topics.

I usually never make topics because I think if I make an un-helpful topic or something stupid I will be seen as more of an idiot and not cool, which is the opposite of what I aim for.

Thosesneakyfrench wrote:
;Put more effort into our posts

I could definitely put more time and thought into my posts, though I do sometimes in the state of mind that if I'm not going to say anything good or useful I just leave the topic.
Back to top Go down
AlphaCentauri
Hai I'm New Here!
AlphaCentauri

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:05 pm

Yes, I am kinda in a zone right now where I just want to hit 10k posts, and will post just about anything, my recent post history is pretty much utter crap, little more then one sentence.
Back to top Go down
Twone
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
Twone

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:10 pm

I've been sticking to C&C only for a while. A bit more civilized.

I'm sure a small group of users can't change an entire forum of thousands of people. And if this group was to get away from spam, why would we?
Back to top Go down
FLESHLIGHT
Hai I'm New Here!
FLESHLIGHT

Sign-Up Date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:07 am

General forum's basically the core of the problem. Rarely go there any more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:55 am

I try to post decently, when i make thread's there's usually a valid point, or i link to news...
but when people say i spam because i make my replies short... well, fuck em. at least i just dont go like:
" ^
: illegal text"

or shit like that... i wish we could get rid of the obvious alts that plague NGBBS
Back to top Go down
Sensationalism
Admin
Sensationalism

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:59 am

You do make good threads Missing. I think it's funny when people say you spam. Really you just say what you mean and are to the point. No need to add a bunch of fluff. Nothing wrong with that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:04 am

why thank you, someone sees my points...
Back to top Go down
Lost_Chances
Lost_Chances

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:47 am

I hate it when people write in full caps and then write "NON CAPS". If you're going to write in all caps, do it all the way and risk the fucking ban, or don't. Honestly, if I was BBS mod, I'd just ban people doing that shit on sight.
Back to top Go down
Timmy
Timmy

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:31 am

Dobio wrote:
It's just the average age level of the website means that unless you are extremely immature, you aren't going to find most of the shit humourous unless you're 13-14.

Actually I was talking with Luis the other day, and he said that the age demographic on Newgrounds has shifted dramatically, with a large percentage falling in the 18-25 age group now. They're concerned that the site just isn't attracting new, younger users anymore.

My point is, I feel like a certain theme has become entrenched in Newgrounds (cock jokes, immaturity, one-liners, shitty threads etc) that goes beyond any age issues. You have 20 year-olds making threads that a 13 year old would make, simply because he knows that those types of threads appeal to the NG community.

I don't think we need to chalk this up to "13 year olds acting like morons" but "Newgrounds users acting like Newgrounds users" (regardless of age). While one can just pray that 13 year olds will mature and post better, it's much harder to hope that a late-teen/early-twenty-something will alter his posting habits after so many years of being on Newgrounds and learning that immaturity appeals to the masses.

I want to take a step back, though, and admit that I am guilty as any - I enjoy being silly more than stoic most of the time. If I took myself too seriously, there is no way I would still love coming to Newgrounds.
Back to top Go down
Thosesneakyfrench
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
Thosesneakyfrench

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:42 am

It's all about being able to understand the rules. If an all-caps post is made in good humor and the capitalization makes it funnier, by all means, I don't see a problem with it. The point of the rule is to stop people from writing paragraphs that are painful to read. In general, if someone thinks the little "Not all caps" saves their ass, their post likely wasn't funny either way.

What astonishes me is users who have been around for a while, but still don't get it. Users like Joxkornerstudios, evan210, and Twilight.

As for people saying we can't make a difference, I'd have to disagree. There may be millions of people visiting the site, but on the broad spectrum of things, there's only a couple thousand forum goers. At the height of the day, there's maybe around 300 users browsing the forums; something that we're still a decent fraction of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What can WE do for the BBS   What can WE do for the BBS Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What can WE do for the BBS
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Regulars :: The Regulars :: General-
Jump to: