The Regulars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Regulars

A place for the Awesome People to be.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Censor, or don't censor?

Go down 
+16
InsertFunnyUserName
Alfain
HotActionYiffFur
Clever Nickname
Dobio
TheSilverGuitar
RobotTaco
Scarab
Sensationalism
Timmy
H-K-S
14hourlunchbreak
AngryBanana
Maximus
Achromatic
Lost_Chances
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Do we censor or give it a trial?
Yes
Censor, or don't censor? I_vote_lcap19%Censor, or don't censor? I_vote_rcap
 19% [ 5 ]
Trial
Censor, or don't censor? I_vote_lcap35%Censor, or don't censor? I_vote_rcap
 35% [ 9 ]
No
Censor, or don't censor? I_vote_lcap46%Censor, or don't censor? I_vote_rcap
 46% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 26

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Lost_Chances
Lost_Chances

Sign-Up Date : 2009-08-07

Censor, or don't censor? Empty
PostSubject: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:43 am

Lately, there's been a small argument about censoring of the N word because it offends some black people. The admins say we need to censor, some users say there's no point and I just want a trial basis. So really, I'm going to let you users decide the correct course of action.
Back to top Go down
Achromatic
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
Achromatic

Sign-Up Date : 2009-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:46 am

There are alot of offensive words that aren't censored, I don't see why this one is so special.
Back to top Go down
Maximus
Feeling Awesome Yet?
Maximus

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:52 am

I don't see any black people here complaining about the use of the word.
Back to top Go down
http://braximus.webs.com
AngryBanana
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
AngryBanana

Sign-Up Date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:04 am

We're all smart people here.
Back to top Go down
14hourlunchbreak
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
14hourlunchbreak

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:46 am

Huh, it's tied now....

Anyway, I vote for censoring it, but I don't think anyone here would say it.
Back to top Go down
http://14hourlunchbreak.newgrounds.com
H-K-S
Troll
H-K-S

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:37 am

There's no black people on the internet, remember guys? Look on ED.
Back to top Go down
Timmy
Timmy

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:43 am

Censor it - people who need to use that word for "shock humor" need to reevaluate their idea of what's funny.
Back to top Go down
Timmy
Timmy

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:55 am

Timmy wrote:
Censor it - people who need to use that word for "shock humor" need to reevaluate their idea of what's funny.

After a conversation, I have decided to change my vote.

We need to allow users to choose to be mature on this site, not force it upon them. So I vote for no censorship.
Back to top Go down
Sensationalism
Admin
Sensationalism

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:35 am

It's really not a big issue either way.

I don't think the censorship is necessary. I'm not a fan of censorship and I don't think the word will offend anyone. If it is being used to put someone down or be spammy, obviously the post would be deleted and the person banned.
Back to top Go down
Scarab
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
Scarab

Sign-Up Date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:59 am

As far as I see it, we're pretty relaxed here at the moment on such a level that we don't really need censors. I think everyone here is capable of using the forums properly, so I personally don't see a need for it right now. If someone comes on and tries to sneak around this tiny level of responsibility with some poorly attempted shock humour or whatever, I think they can be dealt with appropriately. Having forum-wide censors gets people arguing more in my experience, and for a forum of this size... I don't think that's worth it.

If a user were to come on and contact the mods/admins about being genuinely offended about something someone here has said, then maybe it should be considered. If someone feels uncomfortable here, then I'm sure things could be done, of course.

For now though, I think we might be getting picky with words and put briefly, that might not be so great.
Back to top Go down
RobotTaco
Feeling Awesome Yet?
RobotTaco

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:12 pm

I am an American citizen and it is my right to Free Speech. Any sort of censorship denies me that right and I will not tolerate that right being infringed on. A word is merely a word. It does not hold any power unless you give it power. This censorship is stupid, obscene, and completely arbitrary. No one is being offended by the words "Nigger", "Kike", "Gook" or any other word of that sort. If anything, I, AngryBanana, and maybe another person should be offended and we're not. This is completely useless to censor racial slurs.
Back to top Go down
TheSilverGuitar
Feeling Awesome Yet?
TheSilverGuitar

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:17 pm

Cencorship is very American, actually.

But yeah, I'm against it rah rah rah.
Back to top Go down
RobotTaco
Feeling Awesome Yet?
RobotTaco

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:40 pm

TheSilverGuitar wrote:
Cencorship is very American, actually.

I know this. It is very wrong. Very, very wrong. I hate the people who pervert my constitution for their own benefit...
Back to top Go down
Dobio
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
Dobio

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:36 pm

And I hate racists who think they should have a right to use derogatory terms for no reasonable reason. ;)
Back to top Go down
Clever Nickname
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
Clever Nickname

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Censorship causes blindness.
Back to top Go down
Lost_Chances
Lost_Chances

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Dobio wrote:
And I hate racists who think they should have a right to use derogatory terms for no reasonable reason. ;)

Of course, and people using it in a racist manner will be banned. It's just when people use it to quote someone else or in a comical fashion (besides shock effect obviously and perhaps besides parody too), they should be allowed.
Back to top Go down
Dobio
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
Dobio

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:46 pm

Lost_Chances wrote:
Dobio wrote:

Of course, and people using it in a racist manner will be banned. It's just when people use it to quote someone else or in a comical fashion (besides shock effect obviously and perhaps besides parody too), they should be allowed.

Really, typing n*gger or whatever instead of the actual word isn't really going to compromise the integrity of 'comic' humour.

I think it's pretty stupid that you have a use a racial slur in order to be funny, but maybe that's just my weird liberal ways.
Back to top Go down
RobotTaco
Feeling Awesome Yet?
RobotTaco

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:51 pm

Dobio wrote:

Voltaire once said something.

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

As much as I hate racists, hate groups and whatnot, they have a right to free speech too. It saddens me that they have such unfounded prejudice and hatred towards other people, but they should have every right to say what they believe. Personal opinion should never influence what laws are made. Free speech is my right granted to me by the founding fathers and I will stand up for that right, even at the cost of being hated, humiliated, and made to look like an idiot.

Any form is censorship denies me of this right. This ban on racist words is wrong. I won't stand for it.
Back to top Go down
Dobio
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
Dobio

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:53 pm

Meh, free speech, free smeech.

I don't agree on using the constitution as a way to enable ignorance. You can believe whatever the fuck you want, but I'm not going to start preaching free speech. Some idiots just shouldn't be allowed to say whatever they want.
Back to top Go down
HotActionYiffFur
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
HotActionYiffFur

Sign-Up Date : 2009-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:57 pm

Who cares, it's the internet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/hotactionyifffur/
RobotTaco
Feeling Awesome Yet?
RobotTaco

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:01 pm

Dobio wrote:

I don't agree on using the constitution as a way to enable ignorance. You can believe whatever the fuck you want, but I'm not going to start preaching free speech. Some idiots just shouldn't be allowed to say whatever they want.

Have you ever heard of the schoolyard rhyme "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me?" Words are simply words. They can't hurt you. They're nothing. Absolutely nothing unless you give them power. Let's say I start saying a random word. Let's call it "Imafukkenreturd". Now, I can go around saying this and none of you will even understand. You will all be confused. This word has absolutely no power, just like any word. It's completely pointless to censor words. It's stupid. Words are without power. It is only you the person who can give them any power.
Back to top Go down
Alfain
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
Alfain

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:25 pm

RobotTaco wrote:
Dobio wrote:

Have you ever heard of the schoolyard rhyme "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me?" Words are simply words. They can't hurt you. They're nothing. Absolutely nothing unless you give them power. Let's say I start saying a random word. Let's call it "Imafukkenreturd". Now, I can go around saying this and none of you will even understand. You will all be confused. This word has absolutely no power, just like any word. It's completely pointless to censor words. It's stupid. Words are without power. It is only you the person who can give them any power.

This is pretty much my opinion. There was a time when people used the term black person to designate black people, and it wasn't racist since it was just another way of designating the people according to the color of their skin. It's when you censor it that you give it power, because only then people associate it with a bad meaning. I'll ban anyone using it in racism, but it won't be because of the word, it'll be because of the meaning.
Back to top Go down
http://proottalfain.newgrounds.com
InsertFunnyUserName
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
InsertFunnyUserName

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:37 pm

Alfain wrote:
This is pretty much my opinion. There was a time when people used the term black person to designate black people, and it wasn't racist since it was just another way of designating the people according to the color of their skin. It's when you censor it that you give it power, because only then people associate it with a bad meaning. I'll ban anyone using it in racism, but it won't be because of the word, it'll be because of the meaning.

This. And besides, it's not like there aren't ways to get around a censor.

You can be offensive without a word. I fail to see how saying "black people are absolute pieces of shit and should all be whipped until they're bleeding profusely" is any less racist and offensive than saying the word "nigger." None of those words are taboo, but their meaning is still the same.
Back to top Go down
DumbassDude
Hai I'm New Here!
DumbassDude

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:45 pm

I reckon we should censor, no use angering anyone over a stupid term.

You may say that 'words are words' and they can't hurt you. But that doesn't mean it can't anger someone. It only takes one person to complain, then there is a debate, not to mention, when are we ever going to say the N word anyway on this forum?
Back to top Go down
Dobio
Am I cool Now!?!?!?
Dobio

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:37 pm

Not being able to say racial slurs is only going to piss off people who use racial slurs in derogatory ways. It's not going to piss off people who make jokes.

That's my opinion on the subject.

The free speech argument and words are powerless is complete bullshit. Go run around shouting the N word in downtown Harlem and see how that argument goes over, champ.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Censor, or don't censor?   Censor, or don't censor? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Censor, or don't censor?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Regulars :: The Regulars :: General-
Jump to: